Comparing different types of insoles
If you go out running it can be quite annoying when half way through your run your feet start hurting… cramping or if you develop arch pain. Sometimes it can be foot pain that can let you down and not actually your ability or fitness as you may not even be out of breath when these foot problems start in your run or jog.
So what you need is a good pair of running insoles… but what to buy? There are quite a lot of different insoles for running, sport activities or just every day wear.
Arch support insoles
Arch support insoles are the first kind of insoles that I am going to mention in my review. These insoles can be bought either custom made to fit to your precise foot shape and size or you can off-the shelf ones at a much more affordable price in a store or online; Off the shelf insoles aren’t custom made but do just as good job at comfort, support and protection. These “arch” support insoles do exactly what their name suggests they help support the arch when you walk or run. Your arch isn’t flat but the insides of many of our shoes are thus this can cause problems like excess tension and pressure on the arch of the foot with can result in inflammation of the plantar fascia leading to plantar fasciitis. Some experts say that you need custom ones for arch support insoles to really work but this is a myth as non-custom insoles made out of foam will mould to the shape of your foot anyway.
Running and sports insoles
Running and sports insoles often have inbuilt arch supports so if you buy a pair of these then they give your feet the support that they need. Running and sport insoles are often considered to be better than arch support insoles because not only do they offer arch support and do everything arch support insoles have to offer but these kinds of insoles are specially made to deal with the stress and shocks that often occur if you are doing sporting activities including running, jumping, cycling or sport like football, rugby or even hiking. Running and sports insoles are designed for high impact… how? Sports insoles are made from flexible, durable and shock absorbing materials like foam, gel and sometimes rubber. Making them great for sports where constant running and jumping will create great amount of shock which can damage the feet over time but with a pair of running insoles this is no longer a problem.
Plantar fascitis insoles
Plantar fasciitis insoles are more for everyday use to help either prevent yourself from getting plantar fasciitis or to ease the symptoms and reduce recovery time of plantar fasciitis. If you are suffering from plantar fasciitis it is best to keep your weight off the afflicted foot to reduce the pressure and help the foot from further damage and help it to recover faster. But wouldn’t that mean you wouldn’t be able to walk or run at all when suffering from plantar fasciitis? Well with a pair of these insoles you can… The plantar fasciitis insoles help to reduce the pressure your body weight has on the plantar fascia with shock absorption and the way the insoles help to position your foot correctly makes these insoles the best choice for wearing them every day to prevent plantar fasciitis or to help you stay active and ease pain and speed up recovery time if you suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Gel insoles are lightweight insoles that are easy to slip inside any of your shoes makes it easier on your feet if you are always on them. In today’s modern world people are always rushing about in uncomfortable shoes and just simply put up with it because the shoes are stylish. But don’t make compromises by swapping stylish shoes for unstylish ones simply because the more fashionable ones are uncomfortable… put in a pair of gel insoles… made for modern people who want to be able to wear stylish shoes but don’t want to be uncomfortable in them. The gel insoles help to support your foot and stop shock and pressure from causing pain on your foot and heel. Wear your stylish shoes all day without discomfort thanks to gel insoles.
Selection of the best insoles to buy
Here at NuovaHealth we have a wide range of different insoles that you can buy that have been specially engineered to help improve how your foot functions to improve your entire anatomy and physiology. Below you will find a hand picked selection of some of our best insoles.
These insoles are a perfect choice for preventing and easing pain associated with foot injuries such as plantar fasciitis. If you have plantar fasciitis then our arch support insoles will help to keep you on your feet by reducing strain and pressure from your arches, helping to prevent further damage to your plantar fascia and give your feet a chance to heal! Our insoles will protect your feet from damage, provide the arches of your feet with extra support and will also correct bio-mechanical imbalances such as flat feet or high arches which can often lead to plantar fasciitis.
Why our insoles are the best choice for those with plantar fasciitiis:
- Realigns the feet and correct bio-mechanical imbalances and stress on the plantar fascia.
- Helps to support and correct the fours phases of the gait cycle and prevent over pronation and under pronation whilst walking.
- Absorbs shock and spreads pressure evenly across the heel and foot
- Ideal for those with high arches and flat feet
- Heel support helps to support and stabilize the heel improving stability and balance through out the foot.
2x Arch Support Insoles (One for each foot).
3/4 Semi rigid plastic shell for improved support and comfort.
Active carbon fiber that helps remove odour.SizeSize: 7-11 and 3-7.For both men and women.
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver™ insoles ideal for people with heel and foot pain
- Inbuilt arch support reduces tension and pressure off your plantar fascia making these insoles ideal for treating plantar fasciitis
- Made using the very best shock absorbing materials to give your feet and lower limbs enhanced protection against from shock damage.
- Heel support cup crafted to help better stabilize your heel to prevent sprains and strains from occurring
- Ideal for treating and preventing metatarsalgia, bunions, blisters, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, shin splints, knee tendinitis, hip and lower back pain AND MORE!
- 30 day money back guarantee ensure you are never left feeling out of pocket if the insoles aren’t right for you
- These insoles have been specially made for people who suffer from over-pronation.
- They work by using orthotic support that helps to adjust and realign your feet properly when you walk helping to stop your feet excessively pronating when you walk. This helps to prevent unnatural load and pressure form damaging your feet and causing overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis.
- Made from highly shock absorbent EVA material to prevent shock from causing damage to your feet and lower limbs.
- Perfect for runners wanting extra support when they run.
- Ideal for people with flat feet who are more likely to over-pronate
- Breathable holes circulate air around your feet keeping them feeling dry and fresher for longer
- Heel pad and cup helps support and prevent damage to your heels.
- Built in arch support relieves tension and pressure off your arches helping to combat against arch pain and strain.
- 30 day money back guarantee
2x High Premium Quality Orthotic Arch Support Insoles (Left and Right foot).
Available in 2 Sizes: Large Size UK 8-10 and Medium Size UK 5-7 (Cut down to meet your individual requirements).
Brand new and unused.
Nuova shock absorbing insoles are designed to increase the surface area of the foot helping to reduce the force generated by the impact of your foot hitting the ground and helps by absorbing much of the force through its tough but light plastic shell.
You get 1 pair of Nuova Shock-absorbing insoles (1 left and 1 right insole).
Better shock absorption has been shown to help treat and prevent a wide number of different foot and lower limb injuries. For example wearing these insoles can help with plantar fasciitis, Metatarsalgia, Achilles tendonitis, Shin Splints, Knee tendonitis as well as various hip and lower back related injuries.
Active carbon-fiber design for odor protection.
Breathable holes keep your feet feeling fresh and stops the build up of bacteria.
Memory foam helps to give your feet more comfort and protection
Helps protect and support the metatarsal area of your foot to combat against and treat ball of foot pain
Heel cup keeps your foot stabilized and prevent ankle and foot sprains from occurring.
Excessive pronation when you walk is the leading causes of foot injuries such as plantar fasciitis. These insoles have been proven to help stop your foot from pronating too much when you walk helping to reduce the risk of plantar fasciitis.
30 day money back guarantee means you are never left out of pocket if you’re not 100% satisfied with your new pair of insoles.
Keep your feet protected with a pair of our new and innovative foot support insoles! These insoles have been specially developed by our team of foot experts to help support your feet in the optimum position! They will help to eliminate any bio-mechanical problems that you might have affecting your feet and have been made from the very best EVA shock absorbing materials which will not only protect your feet but also your legs, knees, hips and back from excessive strain and pressure.
- 1x pair of foot support insoles
- Available in UK shoe sizes 6-8 and 9-12
- These full length insoles have been made to support your whole foot. By realigning and adjusting the positioning of your foot during the gait cycle these insoles will help to improve the way that your foot functions. This will help to reduce strain and pressure on your feet when you walk and reduce your risk of foot and lower limb injuries.
- They have been made using light weight EVA material that will absorb shock.
- Inbuilt arch support will support your arches and correct common muscle and bio-mechanical imbalance linked to foot strain, pain and injury.
- Features memory foam layer for enhanced shoe comfort
- Heel grips keep stop your feet from slipping around inside your shoes reducing your risk of developing blisters, bunions and other foot problems.
- Breathable holes help to keep your feet feeling fresh and odor free.
- 30 day money back guarantee
The number one cause of foot and heel pain in adults is due to plantar fasciitis. It is estimated that one in ten people will this injury at least once in their lifetime. Plantar fasciitis is caused by unnatural load inflaming and damaging a ligament that supports your arch called the plantar fascia. Unnatrual load on your plantar fascia is often triggered by bio-mechanical imbalance such as overpronation and excessive supination.
Wearing a pair of these orthotic arch support insoles inside your shoes can help to improve the bio-mechanics of your feet and prevent overproantion and supination. Our insoles have been specially engineered to help to realign and support your feet in the correct position that causes the least amount of strain and pressure on your feet.
- Ideal for those with flat feet and high arches who are more at risk of developing foot injuries
- Solid heel cups heel protects your heels from shock and helps to improve stability and balance
- Motion control orthotic technology helps to improve your gait and prevent movement which may damage your feet or lower limbs
- Helps to improve the way that your foot functions using inbuilt arch support to stop common bio-mechanical imbalances that can cause plantar fasciitis to develop.
- Orthotic support helps to support and improve positioning of your feet This can have a great impact on your overall posture and ease and treat not just foot injuries but also leg, hip and lower back problems as well.
- Can be quickly an easily trimmed to the right size to fit into just about any type of shoes
- Ideal for runners and athletes wanting to avoid injury
2x Arch Support Insoles (One for each foot).
3/4 Semi rigid plastic shell for improved support and comfort.
Active carbon fiber that helps remove odour.SizeSize: 7-11 and 3-7.For both men and women.
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver heel cups with orthotic support and motion control technology
- Stabilizes and eases pressure off your foot and ankle to help prevent and treat overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis.
- Inbuilt arch support helps stops your foot excessive overpronation (which is when the foot rolls inward excessively during gait) or excessive supination (which when your foot rolls outwards excessively during gait). Excessive overpronation and supination are the most common causes of plantar fasciitis in adults. This is because they can unnatural amount of load on your arch causing it to become inflamed and damaged. That is why these heel cups are perfect for anyone suffering from plantar fasciitis as they help to support your foot in the correct position and help stop your from from pronating in the wrong way.
- Built from shock absorbing materials that help to stop shock from damaging your feet and lower limbs when walking.
- These heel cups helps to prevent the build up of pressure underneath the soles of your feet by spreading pressure evenly across your whole foot instead of allowing pressure points to develop. This makes these heel cups are ideal for people who find themselves on their feet for all day and suffer from foot and heel pain.
- Made to be super lightweight and to fit inside just about any type of footwear
- Comes with a full 30 day money back guarantee which means if you are not entirely satisfied with them you can return them to get a full refund!
Our gel massaging heel pads are perfect for slipping inside your shoes for instant foot and heel pain relief.
- 1x pair of heel cushions for shoes
- Made from medical grade shock absorbent silicone gel that is designed to cushion and protect your feet and heels from shock
- Redistributes weight and pressure evenly across your heels helping to stop pressure points developing when on your feet for long periods
- Molds to the exact shape and contours of your heels providing the very best support and protection
- Ideal for easing heel pain and aches
- Heel grip technology helps to stop your feet moving around in your shoes helping you to avoid blisters and bunions
- Lightweight, discrete and non bulky design perfect for fitting inside high heels without compromising your style
- Full 30 day money back guarantee, no questions asked!
These gel insoles are a must buy for anyone suffering from foot or heel pain. They feature massaging gel orthotic support that actively molds and adapts to the changing pressures that your feet are put under when you walk. The silicone gel gives your feet a custom level of support and helps to restore balance, function and comfort back to your feet. They are perfect for anyone suffering from plantar fasciitis as they have been designed to help treat the most common underlining causes of plantar fasciitis and provide sufferers the support and protection that they need in the places where they need it the most.
- 1x pair of silicone massaging gel insoles designed to soothe foot pain
- Shock absorbent to help protect your feet and lower limbs from injuries such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, shins splints, knee tendinitis and lower back pain.
- Orthotic arch support eases weight and pressure off your arches easing arch pain
- Built to be as lightweight as possible and to fit inside just about any type of footwear
- Perfect for people who are on their feet for long periods on hard surfaces such as concrete or pavement.
- 30 day money back guarantee
- 1x pair shock absorbing insoles
- Inbuilt arch support helps to improve the way that your foot functions reducing your risk of strain and injury to your lower limbs
Memory foam layer provides your feet with complete foot protection.
- These insoles are the best choice for wearing if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis as they have been designed helps to ease weight and strain off the plantar fascia allowing you to make a faster and healthier recovery.
- Ideal for people with flat feet, high arches or suffer from over-pronation or supination when walking.
- Cups around your heel providing you with extra stability and balance reducing your risk of spraining and twisting your ankle.
- Made from high quality shock absorbing materials to help stop shock from causing damage to your lower limbs.
- Perfect for runners, athletes and people who are always on their feet.
- Designed to be light weight and easily fitted inside a number of different shoes.
- 30 day money back guarantee for customer peace of mind
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver™ insoles specially engineered to improve support and protection to your feet when running or playing sports.
- Orthotic support helps to ease and prevent a wide number of foot and lower limb injuries such as plantar fasciitis
- Shock absorption helps to stop shock from causing damage to your feet and lower legs making these insoles ideal for helping stop shin splints.
- Arch support helps to prevent common bio-mechanical imbalances causing unnatural load and pressure damaging the plantar fascia ligament that supports the arch of your foot.
- Orthotic heel cups will help to improve stability and balance in your heel helping you to avoid movement that could cause injury to your lower limbs.
- Perfect for people who have flat feet and high arches and who are at great risk of developing foot pain and injuries
Metatarsal fractures are a painful foot injury that affects many in the sporting world. Many famous names in sport have been hit with this in some cases career ending foot injury.
To know fully about metatarsal fractures it is best to know a little bit more about how your foot is put together and how your feet work.
In each of your feet you have precisely 5 metatarsal bones, these long bones are found in between your “phalanges” toes bones and the “tarsal” bones around the hind of the foot.
You ankle has been designed with two specific uses which are support and propulsion. So the bones in your foot must be able to cope and be mobile under immense pressure and strain from your bodyweight. The metatarsal bones have been designed to help with propulsion and support, the metatarsal bones will act as a lever for your foot helping your to bend your foot whilst walking, jumping and running, they also help to stabilize the foot and help with supporting the structure of your foot to hold your body weight.
There are many causes to why people fracture the metatarsal bones including that of over use or harsh rotation of the foot, or direct trauma; for example metatarsal fractures occur frequently in football when a player accidentally kicks another player’s foot or steps on it, or even when a player accidentally kicks the ground instead of the football.
You can injure specific metatarsal bones, injuring the 2nd 3rd and 4th metatarsal bones is quite frequent in football by the accidents that can happen above.
Metatarsal fractures can occur from over use too making sports people more susceptible. Overuse will often cause stress fractures on the bones; the pain in the metatarsal area will gradually increase as the stress fractures weaken the bones and causing a full fracture to the bones as the stress builds.
Metatarsal fractures can cause real pain in suffers, making walking very hard, people suffering from metatarsal fractures will usually have swollen feet and it will be painful to touch the metatarsal area.
There are a few things that you can do if you have a metatarsal fracture:
-see a doctor or physiotherapist for full diagnosis
-reduce swelling and inflammation with cold ice (this can also help to reduce pain as well as swelling can cause pressure on the tissues around the metatarsal bones causing pain)
Protect the foot from further stress and damage with a cast
Often doctors will use x rays to confirm whether the metatarsal bones are fractured or not. Depending on the severity of the fracture treatment and recover will often last somewhere between 6-8 weeks.
Having a removable plastic cast that support the foot but also can be removed is the preferred option to a pot or plaster cast as physiotherapy is a major part of recovering from metatarsal fractures so removing it to do physiotherapy is important.
Metatarsal pads can be used to help strengthen the metatarsal area after you have recovered.
It is always a good idea to wear footwear and insoles that can help protect your foot from fractures; however it does depend on the force as sometimes no amount of protection can prevent a fracture.
ACL stands for the anterior cruciate ligament which is found in your knee joint. It is quite easy and common for this ligament to become damaged and tear, there is an increased risk of this in sports and physical activities that require the person to quickly turn and change direction, another possible cause is if a person jumps but lands on a bent knees and then quickly twisting or another possible cause is when somebody jumps and lands on an extended knee. In sports like rugby incidents of ACL knee injury’s is very common as collision with the knee can cause damage and tears and even simply avoiding over player can cause sudden twists and changes in direction and like I said before this is a very likely cause of ACL knee injuries.
Knee braces are a very good way of treating ACL knee injuries, however in some cases this cannot be enough and surgery is needed to reconstruct the ligament and help improve mobility back into the knee, untreated ACL knee injuries can cause knee arthritis.
There a few symptoms to look out for
If you can feel a snap in your knee when bending it
Pain in the knee
A swollen knee
An unstable knee
These are just a few symptoms of an ACL knee injury if you believe that you are suffering from this or any other kind of knee injury it is advised to go see your doctor for diagnosis.
Tennis elbow is one of the main causes of elbow pain. So what exactly causes tennis elbow? Tennis elbow has been linked to extended time periods of gripping activities and is common amongst tennis players as they grip their racket hard for long periods of time.
The pain is most prominent down the sufferers forearm; a way to detect tennis elbow is to straighten the arm whilst you move your hand back towards your wrist.
If you suffer from serious tennis elbow a doctor may prescribe some anti-inflammatory drugs the doctor will also advise you to have a rest from any sports which may cause further aggravation to the condition.
Compression straps are often used by people who suffer from tennis elbow these straps allow the sufferer to live a more active lifestyle whilst recovering from tennis elbow and help to support the elbow increasing recovery time and even reduce pain and symptoms associated with tennis elbow.
You can also aid the recovery from tennis elbow by using exercises to help re-strengthen the muscles around the elbow.
Most people do make a full recovery after suffering from tennis elbow.
Patella Tendonitis also known as jumper’s knee is commonly caused from overuse of the knee from activities like jumping and /or running. These activities can cause gradual damage to the patella tendon from excessive strain and pressure which over times weakens the tendon. Patella tendinopathy means degeneration of the tissues in the tendon and can be caused by ageing whereas patella tendonitis is inflammation of the tendon.
You will find the patellar tendon just below your knee cap where the thigh muscles connect to the shin bone. The main use of the patellar tendon is that it aids you in bending your knee.
The greatest cause to damage to this tendon is when jumping as jumping causes a lot of stress on the tendon at first the damage that can be caused by jumping and other activities that involve bending the knee, at first the damage will not be noticeable but excessively this damage can get worse.
Patellar tendinopathy is mostly a degenerative condition and not a result of inflammation so it is unlikely for a doctor to prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs for most patients, another reason for this is that anti-inflammatory drugs can stop the production of natural chemicals that your body must create to help rebuild and heal the damaged tendon.
It is a good idea to diagnose and treat patellar tendinopathy early as early treatment of this condition can reduce the damage of the tendon.
Patella Tendon Strap are often used to help ease the pain and symptoms of this painful condition, Patella Tendon Strap can be bought cheaply online but are highly beneficial the Patella Tendon Strap help to support the knee and reduce the strain that is put on the knee when bending thus protecting the tendon from further damage whilst you recover.
It is a good idea not to do sporting activity whilst you recover, and keep pressure away from your knee, that is another good feature of Patella Tendon Strap as these straps will help to minimise pressure.
-Pool running is a good way to keep fit and active whilst recovering not only that but pool running helps to strengthen the knees muscles helping recovery.
Often in serious cases where all else has failed surgery may be required. With surgery surgeons will try to remove degenerating tissue in the tendon and try to fix and repair the tendon. Often after surgery the body will replace the lost tissue tendon with healthy new tendon tissue however this will take time around 3-4months.
Plantar fasciitis is a common inflammation problem of the plantar fascia in runners but can even afflict non-runners too. (The plantar fascia is a fibrous tissue which spans the length of the sole of your foot which supports the arch of the foot). Inflammation of the plantar fascia usually will be found around where the plantar fascia is attached to your heel bone. The symptoms of plantar fasciitis will often include heel, foot pain and heel spurs.
The pain which plantar fasciitis causes often will be most painful around the inside of your heel but the pain can also be found on the sole of your foot too.
Plantar fasciitis is mainly an inflammation problem pain is at its worst during activity, but also people suffering with plantar fasciitis will also suffer from pain in the mornings too as a result of not moving. (Confusing I know but this is due to the state of the plantar fascia after you have slept all night not using your foot and when you take your first steps the plantar fascia will be tenderer).
Preventing plantar fasciitis is more simple and easy than you may think there are really lots of steps (mind the pun) that you can take to help prevent yourself from getting this problem. Including stretching your feet properly before exercise, this is very important as not stretching properly will mean an increased risk, many runners will tend to stretch all there other parts of their body but will often forget their feet.
Apart from stretching properly there is something else that is just if not more important and that is wearing the right footwear and insoles. Whilst running your shoes most give you the right support after all running creates a huge amount of pressure and strain on the plantar fascia and foot and so it is very important to have extra support. Tight and ill-fitting footwear can cause an increased risk of inflammation on the plantar fascia and other tissues which should be avoided.
Excessive pronation can be another cause of plantar fasciitis as this causes more stress than there really should be to combat this you can buy arch support plantar fasciitis insoles to help reduce this over pronation and reduce the stress on the plantar fascia too.
With treatment for plantar fasciitis – 95% of all people who get this condition will make a full recovery. There are some treatments that you can try including physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory drugs or by letting your plantar fascia naturally recover with the help of plantar fasciitis insoles that help support the arch and plantar fascia so when you walk you do not aggravate and inflame the plantar fascia again when you put weight on your foot.
For further information about this condition or other conditions please read through our blog.
The main cause of arthritis is when the joints swell and become inflamed this causes pain in the joints and in severe cases people cannot get on with their lives because of the pain. Some people actually use arthritis gloves in an effort to help relieve this pain. Arthritis gloves are specially designed to help relieve the pain that is caused by arthritis by decreasing the inflammation of the affected joints.
The most common place people get arthritis is in the hands. Arthritis gloves use the principles of compression and heat to help ease the pain and inflammation of the joints in the hands.
Infrared rays arthritis gloves (made with bio ceramic material which allows the gloves to absorb the infrared rays; this material is flexible and doesn’t restrict movement in the hands and fingers) the way these gloves work is that when the gloves absorb the infrared rays they will then reach the skin that surrounds the effected joints this then causes the blood vessels around the area to expand which increases circulation and reduces pain caused by arthritis.
Another type of arthritis gloves are “Thermal” gloves which work by keeping heat inside the glove, thus this in effect will reduce pain; another feature of these gloves is that they help to stop your skin from sweating which can aggravate arthritis.
Finally another type of arthritis gloves work by supporting the bones and joints making sure that they are well enough spaced apart which helps with mobility in your hands and helps stop irritation and pain caused from inflammation too.
Whilst you should keep in mind if you choose to buy a pair of arthritis gloves is how they fit on your hand. Make sure that the gloves are comfortable. The fitting of the gloves must be tight enough to help support the joints and hand but not too tight to stop circulation. Good circulation is needed for providing tissues with nutrients and oxygen they need.
It is not good to sweat whilst wearing the gloves so make sure that the gloves allow for your hands to breathe. Arthritis gloves will:
– help to improve the circulation in your hands
– reduce inflammation and swelling
– relieve pain caused by arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome
Arthritis gloves are a much better alternative to treating arthritis than medication as medication only masks the symptoms whereas arthritis gloves help to give back mobility to your hands and reduce inflammation caused by the disease.
A pair of the gloves is a simple to use and something you should try for yourself if you suffer from this painful condition.
In part 1 of this series we discussed preparing for the gruelling task of marathon training. Now you are prepared and ready it is time to start. In 16 weeks you should be able to run a marathon but be warned this is not going to be easy.
Ideal starting fitness
The ideal minimum fitness you need to start marathon training is that you should be able to run at least 30 minutes without taking time to stop. It doesn’t matter how far you can go so long as you can keep your body running and get used to the feeling.
If you cannot run yet for 30 minutes straight you soon will be able to as this level of fitness can be easily attained. Try going on long walks interspaced with jogging. They help to ease your body into exercise and minimize risk of injury.
Training for the marathon
The aim of marathon training is now to gradually increase your mileage over the weeks until you hit a total distance in your run of 18-21 miles. Then taper down 2 weeks before the marathon in order to allow your body to recover its strength so you will be fresh for the actual marathon event.
Wk Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 3 Miles Rest Day 4 Miles 4 Miles Rest Day 5 Miles Rest Day
2 3 Miles Rest Day 4 Miles 4 Miles Rest Day 6 Miles Rest Day
3 3 Miles Rest Day 4 Miles 4 Miles Rest Day 7 Miles Rest Day
4 3 Miles Rest Day 5 Miles 5 Miles Rest Day 8 Miles Rest Day
5 3 Miles Rest Day 5 Miles 5 Miles Rest Day 10 Miles Rest Day
6 3 Miles Rest Day 5 Miles 5 Miles Rest Day 12 Miles Rest Day
7 4 Miles Rest Day 6 Miles 6 Miles Rest Day 14 Miles Rest Day
8 4 Miles Rest Day 6 Miles 6 Miles Rest Day 15 Miles Rest Day
9 4 Miles Rest Day 6 Miles 6 Miles Rest Day 16 Miles Rest Day
10 4 Miles Rest Day 7 Miles 7 Miles Rest Day 18 Miles Rest Day
11 5 Miles Rest Day 7 Miles 7 Miles Rest Day 19 Miles Rest Day
12 5 Miles Rest Day 7 Miles 7 Miles Rest Day 20 Miles Rest Day
13 5 Miles Rest Day 8 Miles 8 Miles Rest Day 21 Miles Rest Day
14 5 Miles Rest Day 8 Miles 8 Miles Rest Day 10 Miles Rest Day
15 3 Miles Rest Day 4 Miles 4 Miles Rest Day 8 Miles Rest Day
16 3 Miles Rest Day 3 Miles Walk Rest Day 26.2 Miles Rest Day
Remember at the start of the marathon you will receive a huge amount of adrenaline which will give you a lot of energy but don’t make the mistake of starting too quickly. You don’t want to wipe yourself out at the start. A marathon is an endurance event, keep a steady pace and then towards the end speed up for a champions finish.
This concludes part 2 of this series, in part 3 we will examine further common problems encountered in the race and important tips for racing a marathon in a competitive time.
Marathon training is all about building physical as well as mental stamina. In this article we will deal with both aspects of marathon training.
Mental stamina accumulates overtime; it is your ‘force’ or ‘will power’. It is the ability to override your senses and push on beyond what you think is possible. Mental stamina is the psychological component of marathon training. Before you decide to train for a marathon you need to examine your motivation for running a marathon as it is this motivation that you will use to drive you on to complete one of the most gruelling and punishing athletic events a human can do.
You absolutely must be highly motivated to race a marathon. You cannot approach it meekly, you cannot accept defeat, your motivation has to be overriding.
So why do you want to run a marathon? Do you want to get fit? Is it for the sense of achievement (less than 1% of the world’s population have completed a marathon)? Do you want to impress your friends? Is it something on a to do list? Running for charity? We must reiterate that whatever your reason is for running a marathon it must be highly compelling. Most people who train for a marathon quit before the race, a lot cannot finish the race. Many that do finish the race do not achieve a respectable finishing time.
So you think you are mentally prepared for the challenges ahead? That is good. Now we must complete our other preparation work.
Buy a good pair of running trainers. Finally remove the insoles and buy specially designed running insoles. Running insoles are designed to fit your feet matching and supporting the arch and help to correct posture and optimise performance. They also help you to avoid injury.
Running is a great activity for burning calories. You will find that your body literally burns through everything that you give it, fat will melt away from your body and you will lose weight. It is recommended that you eat a high calorie diet, high in carbs with adequate amounts of protein and fat. Carbohydrates will be the fuel for your training and your eventual marathon. The great thing with a running regime is you can end up eating more than you were before and still lose weight. So if your goal is to lose weight marathon training will help you get there.
If you are running for an hour or more it is important to always carry fluids with you. Generally you will be drinking around 6-8 oz every 20 minutes or so. Vary the amounts based upon how you feel.
Rehydration is an important aspect of running, after a long run you will have shed a lot of water weight. It is recommended that you weigh yourself before and after a run and then aim to rehydrate back to the before weight.
Conclusion and to part 2
Thank you for reading part 1. Part 1 has dealt with preparation; part 2 will deal with the training aspects of running for a marathon. If you are looking to purchase running insoles for this activity we recommend you have a look at our range of sports insoles. Nuova Health stock the finest quality orthotics aimed at optimising running performance.
It is estimated that more than 2/3 of Americans are overweight and a third are obese. Obesity rates have doubled since 1980 due to a sedentary lifestyle and a culture of fast food. Europe also seems to be catching the US up in becoming overweight. The European Unions top health officials have indicated that statistics now show that the majority of EU citizens are now overweight. Britain is increasingly being seen as the fat man of Europe, the government is even thinking of introducing a tax on fizzy drinks in an effort to reduce fizzy drink consumption but also to counter the costs that obesity can have on society as a whole due to obesity related health problems.
One European child in four is obese. The long term trends are not looking good for the developed world. Due to globalisation it also seems that the developed world is slowly exporting its problems worldwide.
Obese children are about 82% likely to be obese adults as well. Obesity lends to long term severe health problems and the net is wide and consists of ailments such as diabetes, high cholesterol, under-active thyroid, high blood pressure, stroke and heart problems. Obesity can also lend itself to emotional problems such as embarrassment, anger and resentment.
Nuova Health are dedicated to optimising the health of our clients. If you need to lose weight we recommend starting an exercise regime, cutting the calories, reducing sugar intake and reducing fat intake. That is a start to better health and weight loss. Orthotics and arch support insoles can help to solve joint issues that come about as a result of being overweight as the extra weight causes issues on the joints. Weight training will increase muscle mass, muscle mass is metabolically expensive – meaning it will speed up metabolism and help you to lose excess weight. Weight training ramps up fat burning hormones such as testosterone and human growth hormone vital to successful weight loss. As an aside to our female readers – don’t worry about building bulky unfeminine muscles as most women do not have the genetics to be able to do this, bulky female bodybuilders are almost always using steroids.
We aim to help our readers with dedicated articles on running, weight loss and exercise as well as providing our clients with the very best in health care products.