Here are some really great and hopefully helpful running tips for you to try out for yourself.
Good form is the most important thing when running; even if you aren’t trying to run faster having good running form is needed to prevent injury. For good running form you need to have tall posture as though a string is pulling the top of your head upwards but keeping your upper-body relaxed too whilst you run. Good form means the middle of your foot when striking the ground be positioned just under your hips making sure that your arms don’t swing side to side but back and forth as you run.. This is how your running form should be! If you are not used to running like this it may feel unnatural to begin with but your body will soon get used to it and you will be running in good form in no time and much faster too!
Time yourself and make sure you keep count of how many strides you take when you run. A study has shown that the best runners who run the most efficiently and quickest are those who take 180 strides a minute. The trick is not to take long strides and to keep your feet close to the ground as you run. Quick and simple steps!
High intensity cardio is important and won’t take up a lot of your time. High intensity exercises like cycling as fast as you can for a minute or so is a really effective way to build strength and get the heart beating fast. High intensity exercises are done by all the major runners to improve their speed.
Treadmills help you to slowly build your speed from a steady walking pace to a full on sprint, treadmills are a great piece of equipment for runners letting the runner be in charge by setting the pace and even the incline.
Mix up your pace. Sprint for one minute jog the next then when you get used to jogging quickly sprint again and try to catch your body off guard. Changing pace like this is known as “fartleks” (Swedish) and helps to build endurance and stamina and a great cardio workout that keeps your body guessing!
Lightweight running shoes and insoles, now you can super lightweight running footwear that helps by reducing weight from the foot when you run but will still give you that arch support and shock absorption whilst you run!
Breathe faster and more effectively! Breathing is important it give oxygen to your cells helping them to create energy and prevent the build-up of painful lactic acid.
Extra resistance to build up running strength. To build up the muscles used to run you need to push them with added resistance; there are a number of ways to do this for example running with a weighted backpack or even you can buy running parachutes that have been made to create wind resistance behind you making running a lot harder but will build up your strength in your muscles so when you run without the extra resistance it will be easier and you will be much faster. Hill running also builds strength in your running muscles as the steep incline creates a type of resistance that must be overcome.
Core muscle workouts can be a great way to run faster; use sit-ups and press ups which develop the core muscles. Core muscle workouts should be done each day but don’t take up that much time 10 minutes at most!
If you want to become a good runner then we recommend a good night sleep and rest. If you over work your muscles then they may become exhausted and your body needs time to recover and repair itself that is why rest is important!
Yoga does a lot of things (like helping you grow taller) among those things that yoga will help with is to increase flexibility loosening the joints will help you feel more relaxed and because yoga helps with posture too you will have better form whilst running.
Comparing different types of insoles
If you go out running it can be quite annoying when half way through your run your feet start hurting… cramping or if you develop arch pain. Sometimes it can be foot pain that can let you down and not actually your ability or fitness as you may not even be out of breath when these foot problems start in your run or jog.
So what you need is a good pair of running insoles… but what to buy? There are quite a lot of different insoles for running, sport activities or just every day wear.
Arch support insoles
Arch support insoles are the first kind of insoles that I am going to mention in my review. These insoles can be bought either custom made to fit to your precise foot shape and size or you can off-the shelf ones at a much more affordable price in a store or online; Off the shelf insoles aren’t custom made but do just as good job at comfort, support and protection. These “arch” support insoles do exactly what their name suggests they help support the arch when you walk or run. Your arch isn’t flat but the insides of many of our shoes are thus this can cause problems like excess tension and pressure on the arch of the foot with can result in inflammation of the plantar fascia leading to plantar fasciitis. Some experts say that you need custom ones for arch support insoles to really work but this is a myth as non-custom insoles made out of foam will mould to the shape of your foot anyway.
Running and sports insoles
Running and sports insoles often have inbuilt arch supports so if you buy a pair of these then they give your feet the support that they need. Running and sport insoles are often considered to be better than arch support insoles because not only do they offer arch support and do everything arch support insoles have to offer but these kinds of insoles are specially made to deal with the stress and shocks that often occur if you are doing sporting activities including running, jumping, cycling or sport like football, rugby or even hiking. Running and sports insoles are designed for high impact… how? Sports insoles are made from flexible, durable and shock absorbing materials like foam, gel and sometimes rubber. Making them great for sports where constant running and jumping will create great amount of shock which can damage the feet over time but with a pair of running insoles this is no longer a problem.
Plantar fascitis insoles
Plantar fasciitis insoles are more for everyday use to help either prevent yourself from getting plantar fasciitis or to ease the symptoms and reduce recovery time of plantar fasciitis. If you are suffering from plantar fasciitis it is best to keep your weight off the afflicted foot to reduce the pressure and help the foot from further damage and help it to recover faster. But wouldn’t that mean you wouldn’t be able to walk or run at all when suffering from plantar fasciitis? Well with a pair of these insoles you can… The plantar fasciitis insoles help to reduce the pressure your body weight has on the plantar fascia with shock absorption and the way the insoles help to position your foot correctly makes these insoles the best choice for wearing them every day to prevent plantar fasciitis or to help you stay active and ease pain and speed up recovery time if you suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Gel insoles are lightweight insoles that are easy to slip inside any of your shoes makes it easier on your feet if you are always on them. In today’s modern world people are always rushing about in uncomfortable shoes and just simply put up with it because the shoes are stylish. But don’t make compromises by swapping stylish shoes for unstylish ones simply because the more fashionable ones are uncomfortable… put in a pair of gel insoles… made for modern people who want to be able to wear stylish shoes but don’t want to be uncomfortable in them. The gel insoles help to support your foot and stop shock and pressure from causing pain on your foot and heel. Wear your stylish shoes all day without discomfort thanks to gel insoles.
Selection of the best insoles to buy
Here at NuovaHealth we have a wide range of different insoles that you can buy that have been specially engineered to help improve how your foot functions to improve your entire anatomy and physiology. Below you will find a hand picked selection of some of our best insoles.
These arch support insoles are a perfect choice for preventing and easing pain associated with foot injuries such as Plantar Fasciitis.
How they can help with your foot pain
If you have Plantar Fasciitis then our arch support insoles will help to keep you on your feet by reducing strain and pressure on your arches, this will in turn help to prevent further damage to your Plantar Fascia and give your feet a chance to heal! Our insoles will protect your feet from damage, provide the arches of your feet with extra support and will also correct biomechanical imbalances such as flat feet or high arches which can often lead to Plantar Fasciitis.
Why our insoles are the best choice for those with Plantar Fasciitis:
- Added orthotic arch support designed to support your entire foot as well as correct biomechanical imbalances and ease pressure and strain on the plantar fascia ligament that supports your arches.
- Helps to support and correct the four phases of the gait cycle and prevent overpronation and supination whilst walking.
- Absorbs shock and spreads pressure evenly across the heel and foot.
- Made from lightweight and durable materials.
- Ideal for those with high arches, flat feet as well as those suffering from diabetes.
- A perfect choice for runners and athletes who need more support to prevent themselves from developing overuse injuries.
- Proven to help treat and ease a number of different injuries affecting the lower limbs including Plantar Fasciitis, Metatarsalgia, Bunions, Heel Spurs, Morton’s Neuroma, Foot Fatigue, Shin Splints, Achilles Tendinitis, Jumpers Knee, Runners Knee as well as hip and lower back pain.
- Features a specially designed heel cup that will help provide improved support and stability to your heels. The heel cup will also restore biomechanical balance to your feet which will in turn ease foot and heel pain and reduce the risk of heel and ankle injuries from developing in the future.
2x Arch Support Insoles (One for each foot).
A full 30-day money back guarantee.
3/4 Semi rigid plastic shell for improved support and comfort.
Active carbon fiber that helps remove odour.SizeSize: 7-11 and 3-7. Our insoles can also be cut to size for the perfect fit inside any type of shoes!For both men and women.
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver™ insoles ideal for people with heel and foot pain
- Inbuilt arch support reduces tension and pressure off your plantar fascia making these insoles ideal for treating plantar fasciitis
- Made using the very best shock absorbing materials to give your feet and lower limbs enhanced protection against from shock damage.
- Heel support cup crafted to help better stabilize your heel to prevent sprains and strains from occurring
- Ideal for treating and preventing metatarsalgia, bunions, blisters, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, shin splints, knee tendinitis, hip and lower back pain AND MORE!
- 30 day money back guarantee ensure you are never left feeling out of pocket if the insoles aren’t right for you
How can these insoles help if you have overpronation?
Overpronation is when the foot rolls inward too much when your foot flattens during gait. When overpronation occurs it can lead to excessive strain and pressure being placed upon the foot and lower limbs. Overtime this overpronation can cause damage to the ligaments found in your foot and cause injuries such as plantar fasciitis to develop. Wearing a pair of orthotic insoles that realign and support your feet properly when you walk will help to reduce overpronation in your feet and help prevent as well as treat a number of injuries affecting your feet and lower limbs.
- These insoles have been specially made for people who suffer from overpronation.
- They work by using orthotic support that helps to adjust and realign your feet properly when you walk helping to stop your feet excessively pronating when you walk. This helps to prevent unnatural load and pressure form damaging your feet and causing overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis.
- Made from highly shock absorbent EVA material to prevent shock from causing damage to your feet and lower limbs.
- Perfect for runners wanting extra support when they run.
- Ideal for people with flat feet who are more likely to over-pronate
- Breathable holes circulate air around your feet keeping them feeling dry and fresher for longer
- Heel pad and cup helps support and prevent damage to your heels.
- Built in arch support relieves tension and pressure off your arches helping to combat against arch pain and strain.
- Our 30 day money back guarantee means that you can return them if they are not right for you!
2x High Premium Quality Orthotic Arch Support Insoles (Left and Right foot).
Available in 2 Sizes: Large Size UK 8-10 and Medium Size UK 5-7 (Cut down to meet your individual requirements).
Brand new and unused.
Nuova shock absorbing insoles are designed to increase the surface area of the foot helping to reduce the force generated by the impact of your foot hitting the ground and helps by absorbing much of the force through its tough but light plastic shell.
You get 1 pair of Nuova Shock-absorbing insoles (1 left and 1 right insole).
Better shock absorption has been shown to help treat and prevent a wide number of different foot and lower limb injuries. For example wearing these insoles can help with plantar fasciitis, Metatarsalgia, Achilles tendonitis, Shin Splints, Knee tendonitis as well as various hip and lower back related injuries.
Active carbon-fiber design for odor protection.
Breathable holes keep your feet feeling fresh and stops the build up of bacteria.
Memory foam helps to give your feet more comfort and protection
Helps protect and support the metatarsal area of your foot to combat against and treat ball of foot pain
Heel cup keeps your foot stabilized and prevent ankle and foot sprains from occurring.
Excessive pronation when you walk is the leading causes of foot injuries such as plantar fasciitis. These insoles have been proven to help stop your foot from pronating too much when you walk helping to reduce the risk of plantar fasciitis.
30 day money back guarantee means you are never left out of pocket if you’re not 100% satisfied with your new pair of insoles.
Keep your feet protected with a pair of our new and innovative foot support insoles! These insoles have been specially developed by our team of foot experts to help support your feet in the optimum position! They will help to eliminate any bio-mechanical problems that you might have affecting your feet and have been made from the very best EVA shock absorbing materials which will not only protect your feet but also your legs, knees, hips and back from excessive strain and pressure.
- 1x pair of foot support insoles
- Available in UK shoe sizes 6-8 and 9-12
- These full length insoles have been made to support your whole foot. By realigning and adjusting the positioning of your foot during the gait cycle these insoles will help to improve the way that your foot functions. This will help to reduce strain and pressure on your feet when you walk and reduce your risk of foot and lower limb injuries.
- They have been made using light weight EVA material that will absorb shock.
- Inbuilt arch support will support your arches and correct common muscle and bio-mechanical imbalance linked to foot strain, pain and injury.
- Features memory foam layer for enhanced shoe comfort
- Heel grips keep stop your feet from slipping around inside your shoes reducing your risk of developing blisters, bunions and other foot problems.
- Breathable holes help to keep your feet feeling fresh and odor free.
- 30 day money back guarantee
The number one cause of foot and heel pain in adults is due to plantar fasciitis. It is estimated that one in ten people will this injury at least once in their lifetime. Plantar fasciitis is caused by unnatural load inflaming and damaging a ligament that supports your arch called the plantar fascia. Unnatrual load on your plantar fascia is often triggered by bio-mechanical imbalance such as overpronation and excessive supination.
Wearing a pair of these orthotic arch support insoles inside your shoes can help to improve the bio-mechanics of your feet and prevent overproantion and supination. Our insoles have been specially engineered to help to realign and support your feet in the correct position that causes the least amount of strain and pressure on your feet.
- Ideal for those with flat feet and high arches who are more at risk of developing foot injuries
- Solid heel cups heel protects your heels from shock and helps to improve stability and balance
- Motion control orthotic technology helps to improve your gait and prevent movement which may damage your feet or lower limbs
- Helps to improve the way that your foot functions using inbuilt arch support to stop common bio-mechanical imbalances that can cause plantar fasciitis to develop.
- Orthotic support helps to support and improve positioning of your feet This can have a great impact on your overall posture and ease and treat not just foot injuries but also leg, hip and lower back problems as well.
- Can be quickly an easily trimmed to the right size to fit into just about any type of shoes
- Ideal for runners and athletes wanting to avoid injury
2x Arch Support Insoles (One for each foot).
3/4 Semi rigid plastic shell for improved support and comfort.
Active carbon fiber that helps remove odour.SizeSize: 7-11 and 3-7.For both men and women.
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver heel cups with orthotic support and motion control technology
- Stabilizes and eases pressure off your foot and ankle to help prevent and treat overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis.
- Inbuilt arch support helps stops your foot excessive overpronation (which is when the foot rolls inward excessively during gait) or excessive supination (which when your foot rolls outwards excessively during gait). Excessive overpronation and supination are the most common causes of plantar fasciitis in adults. This is because they can unnatural amount of load on your arch causing it to become inflamed and damaged. That is why these heel cups are perfect for anyone suffering from plantar fasciitis as they help to support your foot in the correct position and help stop your from from pronating in the wrong way.
- Built from shock absorbing materials that help to stop shock from damaging your feet and lower limbs when walking.
- These heel cups helps to prevent the build up of pressure underneath the soles of your feet by spreading pressure evenly across your whole foot instead of allowing pressure points to develop. This makes these heel cups are ideal for people who find themselves on their feet for all day and suffer from foot and heel pain.
- Made to be super lightweight and to fit inside just about any type of footwear
- Comes with a full 30 day money back guarantee which means if you are not entirely satisfied with them you can return them to get a full refund!
Our gel massaging heel cushion pads are perfect for slipping inside your shoes for instant foot and heel pain relief.
- 1x pair of heel cushions for shoes
- Made from medical grade shock absorbent silicone gel that is designed to cushion and protect your feet and heels from shock
- Redistributes weight and pressure evenly across your heels helping to stop pressure points developing when on your feet for long periods
- Molds to the exact shape and contours of your heels providing the very best support and protection
- Ideal for easing heel pain and aches
- Heel grip technology helps to stop your feet moving around in your shoes helping you to avoid blisters and bunions
- Lightweight, discrete and non bulky design perfect for fitting inside high heels without compromising your style
- Full 30 day money back guarantee, no questions asked!
These gel insoles are a must buy for anyone suffering from foot or heel pain. They feature massaging gel orthotic support that actively molds and adapts to the changing pressures that your feet are put under when you walk. The silicone gel gives your feet a custom level of support and helps to restore balance, function and comfort back to your feet. They are perfect for anyone suffering from plantar fasciitis as they have been designed to help treat the most common underlining causes of plantar fasciitis and provide sufferers the support and protection that they need in the places where they need it the most.
- 1x pair of silicone massaging gel insoles designed to soothe foot pain
- Shock absorbent to help protect your feet and lower limbs from injuries such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, shins splints, knee tendinitis and lower back pain.
- Orthotic arch support eases weight and pressure off your arches easing arch pain
- Built to be as lightweight as possible and to fit inside just about any type of footwear
- Perfect for people who are on their feet for long periods on hard surfaces such as concrete or pavement.
- 30 day money back guarantee
- 1x pair shock absorbing insoles
- Inbuilt arch support helps to improve the way that your foot functions reducing your risk of strain and injury to your lower limbs
Memory foam layer provides your feet with complete foot protection.
- These insoles are the best choice for wearing if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis as they have been designed helps to ease weight and strain off the plantar fascia allowing you to make a faster and healthier recovery.
- Ideal for people with flat feet, high arches or suffer from over-pronation or supination when walking.
- Cups around your heel providing you with extra stability and balance reducing your risk of spraining and twisting your ankle.
- Made from high quality shock absorbing materials to help stop shock from causing damage to your lower limbs.
- Perfect for runners, athletes and people who are always on their feet.
- Designed to be light weight and easily fitted inside a number of different shoes.
- 30 day money back guarantee for customer peace of mind
- 1x pair of genuine FootReviver™ insoles specially engineered to improve support and protection to your feet when running or playing sports.
- Orthotic support helps to ease and prevent a wide number of foot and lower limb injuries such as plantar fasciitis
- Shock absorption helps to stop shock from causing damage to your feet and lower legs making these insoles ideal for helping stop shin splints.
- Arch support helps to prevent common bio-mechanical imbalances causing unnatural load and pressure damaging the plantar fascia ligament that supports the arch of your foot.
- Orthotic heel cups will help to improve stability and balance in your heel helping you to avoid movement that could cause injury to your lower limbs.
- Perfect for people who have flat feet and high arches and who are at great risk of developing foot pain and injuries
Metatarsal fractures are a painful foot injury that affects many in the sporting world. Many famous names in sport have been hit with this in some cases career ending foot injury.
To know fully about metatarsal fractures it is best to know a little bit more about how your foot is put together and how your feet work.
In each of your feet you have precisely 5 metatarsal bones, these long bones are found in between your “phalanges” toes bones and the “tarsal” bones around the hind of the foot.
You ankle has been designed with two specific uses which are support and propulsion. So the bones in your foot must be able to cope and be mobile under immense pressure and strain from your bodyweight. The metatarsal bones have been designed to help with propulsion and support, the metatarsal bones will act as a lever for your foot helping your to bend your foot whilst walking, jumping and running, they also help to stabilize the foot and help with supporting the structure of your foot to hold your body weight.
There are many causes to why people fracture the metatarsal bones including that of over use or harsh rotation of the foot, or direct trauma; for example metatarsal fractures occur frequently in football when a player accidentally kicks another player’s foot or steps on it, or even when a player accidentally kicks the ground instead of the football.
You can injure specific metatarsal bones, injuring the 2nd 3rd and 4th metatarsal bones is quite frequent in football by the accidents that can happen above.
Metatarsal fractures can occur from over use too making sports people more susceptible. Overuse will often cause stress fractures on the bones; the pain in the metatarsal area will gradually increase as the stress fractures weaken the bones and causing a full fracture to the bones as the stress builds.
Metatarsal fractures can cause real pain in suffers, making walking very hard, people suffering from metatarsal fractures will usually have swollen feet and it will be painful to touch the metatarsal area.
There are a few things that you can do if you have a metatarsal fracture:
-see a doctor or physiotherapist for full diagnosis
-reduce swelling and inflammation with cold ice (this can also help to reduce pain as well as swelling can cause pressure on the tissues around the metatarsal bones causing pain)
Protect the foot from further stress and damage with a cast
Often doctors will use x rays to confirm whether the metatarsal bones are fractured or not. Depending on the severity of the fracture treatment and recover will often last somewhere between 6-8 weeks.
Having a removable plastic cast that support the foot but also can be removed is the preferred option to a pot or plaster cast as physiotherapy is a major part of recovering from metatarsal fractures so removing it to do physiotherapy is important.
Metatarsal pads can be used to help strengthen the metatarsal area after you have recovered.
It is always a good idea to wear footwear and insoles that can help protect your foot from fractures; however it does depend on the force as sometimes no amount of protection can prevent a fracture.